Touchplan offers the best planning & replanning with collaborative digital pull and lookahead planning, real-time updates, and variance reasons. It also offers the best project data & analytics with actionable insights, dashboard views, and reliable promising. With unlimited users and mobile access anywhere from any device, it is also the most collaborative.
Additionally, with no IT intervention necessary and an interface that looks and feels like Sticky Notes, it is the easiest to use. Finally, it includes the best customer service with product videos, training, and an average in-application chat response time of 36 seconds.
Delays are a persistent problem in the construction industry – without proper software for construction planning in UK & Ireland projects. Chaos is the status quo. You’ve got to get your project completed—on time and correctly (whether it is a general building, power, manufacturing, transportation, or industrial project).
Construction Planning Challenges
As a construction project manager or trade contractor in CITY, you are facing the following problems with construction planning:
- Everything keeps slipping. Your drywaller is sick, your wiring and wood are late, everyone is waiting on a decision from the owner/architect, and your electrician redefines the term “Sloppy Joe.” In fact, 75% of all projects fail to come within 10% of the original deadline and only 31% come within 10% of the budget.
- Hard to collaborate. Your subcontractors can’t coordinate with each other or with suppliers. Nobody but you knows your project slipped (including upper management) –and it takes dozens of calls, texts, and emails to re-coordinate with your suppliers and subcontractors. In fact, construction is one of the only industries to experience a reduction in productivity in the last 50 years – largely due to the difficulty of collaborating among sub-contractors.
- No Project Insights. You have no way to see potential problems that will cause delays. Management can’t identify what is causing delays—including a possible resource issue. The superintendent doesn’t realize the subcontractors are consistently delayed. You can’t improve what you can’t see.
- Wasted time… waiting. You get to the job site…but it’s not ready. You could be working another job, but you are waiting (again) with nothing to do. Or, you had no idea that you could have started your work two days earlier. Unfortunately, this is all too typical, only 27% of a construction worker’s day is spent doing direct work.
Your alternatives look bleak.
- Burning up your phone. You could make dozens of phone calls & texts to coordinate between multiple teams, suppliers, and contractors.
- Piles of Sticky Notes. Or, conduct on-site group huddles each morning moving sticky notes to keep organized–then taking a photo, or worse yet dumping it into Excel to email everyone. What a waste.
- “Sophisticated” Project Management. Of course, the office has high-end project management software–but it takes a master’s degree to understand. You need something simple, on the ground, in the trailer–on the site that “you” can use for day-to-day changes.
So how do you collaborate effectively, reduce the daily chaos, make better decisions, keep everyone informed–automatically?
Perhaps you should consider software for Construction Planning.
There are four main reasons to consider software for Construction Planning.
- Reduce Delays
- Easy collaboration
- Data-Driven Insights
- More time working = more profits
BEST SOFTWARE FOR CONSTRUCTION PLANNING
There are five main reasons to consider Touchplan
- BEST planning & replanning
- BEST project data & analytics
- MOST collaborative
- EASIEST to use
- BEST customer service
Let’s consider each of these reasons in detail
1. BEST construction planning & replanning in the UK & Ireland construction market
Unlike alternatives, Touchplan has collaborative pull planning with weekly work planning to enable teams to efficiently keep projects on schedule with plan finish, milestone dates, path length, and lookaheads. All stakeholders have the tools to continuously update plans and remain on schedule. When a project hits roadblocks, real-time updates and detailed variance reasons aid in the re-planning process.
- Digital Pull Planning. Transform your whiteboard Sticky Notes to a collaborative plan that updates instantly on everyone’s phone, tablet or computer. ALL stakeholders are involved in the process while project templates and bulk ticket functions make it easy to plan and re-plan.
- Master Schedule Alignment. Align your master schedule easily. View your project plans side-by-side with your master schedule to ensure that milestones are reached, and the project is moving forward as planned.
- Look-ahead planning. With six-week lookaheads, path length lookahead, Touchplan’s look-ahead planning enables team members to accurately sequence tasks, keep members aligned, accountable, and deliver on time.
- Real-Time Updates. Real-time updates for ALL stakeholders are made easier with Touchplan for mobile. Easily view tasks, updates, and the overall plan to stay on track in the field.
- Variance reasons. Track reasons for why a task was not completed on time. These insights help you re-plan and improve on the fly.
- Supply Chain/Materials Tracking. Track when materials are needed and where they are being used to increase the efficiency of your supply chain management. Ensure materials are delivered just on time or know when materials are delayed.
2. BEST project data & analytics
Through a comprehensive suite of data & analytics features, Touchplan provides actionable insights to proactively deliver projects faster in the UK & Ireland construcion market
- Actionable insights. Review accurate, real-time project metrics down to the field level, enabling you to see problems in advance and proactively avoid future delays (like Waze with traffic jams).
- Dashboard Views. View all of your data in a simple visual dashboard to easily understand where your project is and where it needs help.
- Top performers. Track promises made vs. promises fulfilled for each team member making it easier to identify which trades need attention.
- Reliable Promising. Calculate a reliable promise date for milestone/project completion. With more accurate forecasting, projects can stay on or ahead of schedule.
- Budget and time overrun. Track where and how much a project is going over time and budget to identify areas that need attention.
3. MOST collaborative
Touchplan combines the benefits of pull planning with best-in-class digital collaboration tools, enabling construction teams to collaborate safely when they cannot get together physically, and build better together.
- Collaboration tools. Team members can collaboratively edit, view, and develop daily, weekly, and look-ahead plans, promoting accountability and transparency.
- Unlimited Users. One license includes all users. Easy enough for everyone on site to use to maximize collaboration.
- Mobile Access Anywhere. Users can access Touchplan from anywhere on any device. The team can modify, change, and view project details remotely from the field.
- Team Participation Tracking. Displays the participation history of team members, to help managers understand performance and drive improvement.
4. EASIEST to use
Touchplan’s interface “looks like sticky notes,” and is touted as the easiest to use. All team members get up to speed quickly, maximizing the benefit of collaborative planning.
- Looks and feels like Sticky Notes. Simple and visual like Sticky Notes and a whiteboard to reduce the learning curve and ensure that everyone uses it.
- Unlimited Users. Touchplan does not charge on a per-user basis, enabling all team members to easily use the product without cost barriers.
- NO IT Required. Enables project managers to set up new projects, and easily add and remove users–without IT admin help.
- Cloud-based. Enables team members to access projects from anywhere via the internet.
5. BEST customer service
Through a dedicated Customer Success Team, Touchplan remains with clients throughout the life of the project, not just through the sale. According to customers, the dedicated support team is a paramount reason for choosing Touchplan over the competition.
- Dedicated Support Team. A dedicated customer success team works with you to solve pain points and facilitates onboarding. Help is just a click away with a median live in-application chat response time of 36 seconds.
- Product Videos. Dozens of videos describe detailed and general product features and how to use them to ensure you get the most out of the product.
- Product Training. Dedicated training resources efficiently onboard you so you are up to speed in no time.
- “How-To” FAQ Help Resources. An FAQ section (with ~60 articles) is accessible within the application describing all features and how to best use them.
What’s holding you back?
Now that you can see some of the advantages of Touchplan, what’s holding you back? Following are common questions:
- How does it compare? Please see the competitive matrix.
- I am already using master scheduling software. Primavera P6 and other master schedules only provide a high-level view of project milestones. Touchplan translates your milestones into sequenced tasks and helps you re-plan along the way—in the trailer, on-site.
- I use Sticky notes and a whiteboard to plan. Great, since Touchplan has similar “digital” sticky notes—but everything can be done digitally, notifying everyone of changes automatically, and eliminating the time-consuming aspects of manual planning
- “The relationship with Touchplan is outstanding… extremely receptive to our feedback on how to make the product better.” – Joe Breen, Project Executive, Lee Kennedy
- “Touchplan has acted as our common denominator of communication… our subs/trades… actually see what their progression was on the project.” Lee Kennedy Superintendent Brian Senk.
- “Field crews for us immediately start owning their plan information and helping populate content… leads to a more cohesive team.” – Eldon Parry, Senior Project Manager @ Apollo
- “Touchplan makes it easier to break up the work into bite-size pieces and have solid information for each task.” Britt Jordan, Project Engineer @ Andres Construction
- “Using Touchplan we were able to see that interior construction was beginning to outrun the exterior construction,” said Jordan. “Using Touchplan allowed us to identify these issues months ahead of time and adjust our work to keep the project on schedule.” Britt Jordan, Project Engineer @ Andres Construction
- “… you have a visual of what’s supposed to be done that day. [You use] that visual in your afternoon promises-made/promises-kept conversation….” Mike Kissane, Senior Project Manager at Granger Construction
- Your sweaty crew and subs are standing around a whiteboard moving sticky notes
- Everything has slipped (AGAIN). Someone takes a picture and starts to email it to the teams (drops his phone on the dirty floor and swears).
- A sub grumbles, “They won’t be happy”
- Your wood is late, the wiring was sent to the wrong site, your plumber caught Covid. @$##%^^&%
- You’re gonna have a “Come to Diety” call with your main office in a few hours
Your New Life
- Your team arrives, but they’ve all seen the delays and problems in advance.
- You move the sticky notes (electronically) to re-organize your day’s project (but there’s not many changes).
- Everyone has pre-coordinated. One found a different worker who can come in mid-day. Another saw the wiring delay and already has the truck bringing wiring in from an older site.
- It’s like a well-oiled machine.
- You lose a few hours (not days)—nothing you can’t cover. The meeting time was 20 minutes—not hours.
- And you can’t wait for your weekly coordination meeting. Of course, the office already knows you’ve got it covered. That’s why they’ll be speaking about a promotion.
Life is VERY Good!
Listen to what our customers say
Case study 1 : Jacobsen Construction
Focus Lean/LPS, Time Saved, Collaboration
Touchplan has also allowed Jacobsen to develop better communication with their trade contractors. “With the project dashboards, we are able to see what is and isn’t going well with the trades, that has allowed us to further collaborate more efficiently and reach solutions in the field faster.” Giving your teams the power to fully collaborate on projects is a huge advantage in the construction indus
Case study 2 : Apollo Mechanical Contractors
Focus: Specialty contractors, Company Wide usage, Employee Improvement.
Apollo had an internal desire to improve their construction planning ability. Construction is a high variable and high volume type industry, which makes it difficult to bring learnings from one project to another. There is a lot of human glue which holds the process together and they were looking to improve the ability to disseminate and manage information throughout their processes. The dynamic nature of most construction projects make them an overhead nightmare to keep up with planning and execution. “A lot of hours had been wasted in simply manipulating the plan data, and eventually the plan data gets so out of date you simply end up in a reactionary state,”